November is diabetes awareness month. Diabetes is a long-lasting health condition that affects how your body turns food into energy. If you have diabetes, your body either doesn’t make enough insulin or can’t use the insulin it makes as well as it should.
You or someone you know may be battling this disease. Once you learn more about the disease, you will find the effects it can have on your body and the importance of keeping it under control. There are plenty of resources to help you manage this illness.
Statistics from the CDC :
- Total: 34.2 million people have diabetes (10.5% of the US population)
- Diagnosed: 26.9 million people, including 26.8 million adults
- Undiagnosed: 7.3 million people (21.4% are undiagnosed)
- Total: 88 million people aged 18 years or older have prediabetes (34.5% of the adult US population)
- 65 years or older: 24.2 million people aged 65 years or older have prediabetes
Visit www.cdc.gov to learn more about diabetes and ways to control it.